Kids need to be monitored effectively at a young age as they can be quite sensitive. This applies to their everyday care as well as schooling. While formal schooling for children should ideally start when they reach five years of age, most parents prefer to send their kids to play school prior to a formal school.
Playschool Singapore – A playschool is a school where children are taught basic, every day things like alphabets, numbers, and language terms but without the books. The method of teaching in a play school is more fun and less formality.
There is no fixed age when children can be enrolled in a play school.
Should Children Go to Playschool?
A playschool is a school where children are taught basic, every day things like alphabets, numbers, and language terms but without the books.
The method of teaching in a play school is more fun and less formality.
Most playschools accept children older than a year and a half, though the decision on whether their child is ready for play school or not rests with the parents. One point parents should keep in mind before enrolling their child in a play school is to give him potty training.
The decision of sending their child to a play school often depends on the working status of the parents. If both parents are working, chances are they would want to send their child to a play school as early as possible. However, working status of parents should not become the only criterion in taking this decision.
The level to which the child is independent and able to express his needs should also be considered.
If the child is more dependent on parents for care, it is better to send him to a day care center where it will get the necessary attention and care.
Choosing Playschool – Factors to Consider
After all considerations, if it is the right time to sending a child to a play school, parents should be careful in selecting the right play school. They should consider every aspect of a play school including its environment, teachers, teaching methods, etc, as these would have a direct effect on the growth of their child.
Some key things to be kept in mind when selecting a play school include:
- The decoration in the play school’s classrooms should be done by students and not by teachers.
- Children should be constantly monitored while playing in the play school to ensure they do not get hurt. However, this should be done without interrupting their play or overprotecting them.
- Every day should be a new learning experience for children and they should have new things to do and play. The play school should have sufficient supplies of table toys, building blocks, puzzles, art materials, etc.
- Children should not be forced to learn anything; they should be provided a path to learn everything through experience.
- Children should be placed in different play groups and placed under the care of different teachers depending on their learning speed.
- There should be adequate security in the play school to ensure there is no danger for any of the children.
- Children should be involved in extended activity projects so that they develop patience and concentration while having fun.
- There should be a planned curriculum that is separate for active kids and slow learners.
While the decision is their own, a good idea would be for parents to consult friends or colleagues who have a child in play school and have gone through the selection phase recently.